Sunday 23 February 2014

Glam Pams hit the slopes

Ellie and I have clearly been slacking on our blog posting, it's been a while! After our run last Monday Ellie's shins were causing here a lot of pain, which we believe to have been shin splints. Not ideal during half-marathon training! Dr Allen (aka Molly) prescribed rest, so on Wednesday I ran solo. I am TERRIBLE at running alone, and my GPS on my phone went haywire and told me I'd ran 2.5 miles when I was 100% sure I had only reached 1, so that threw me off track a little. Anyway, as I ran the same path as usual I have calculated that I ran about 5.8 miles, which is very impressive considering I usually need Ellie there to spur me on, and only a few months ago a 1km run would absolutely floor me. But it is week 4 of training so I'd be very disappointed if I was still so unfit. As I ran the sun was setting and I had some cheeky breaks to take some photos. It's always nice to be reminded just how beautiful nature can be.



Despite how proud of myself I was after my run on Wednesday, I did not make it out on Friday as I was meant to. Some horrible person stole my purse on Thursday night and while trying to chase who I thought was the thief I fell down some stairs and massively brusied my bum and thigh. So to cheer me up we went to watch the Rugby instead. As Molly is Welsh I was obliged to support Wales, which resulted in us being on the receiving end of glares and snarky comments from disappointed French folk in the pub. It was a bit like walking into a lions den. Wales won, and a good Samaritan found my purse which cheered me up massively! But despite my new good mood, no running was done on Saturday either. Again due to said bruised bum.

But today, though we (again) didn't go for a run, we did manage to get some exercise in, in the form of skiing! Molly's dad advised us (wisely) to go today rather than on Friday like we had originally planned due to the weather conditions being better. And he was not wrong! Les Deux Alpes was amazing today. I spent the morning trying to teach Hattie how to ski, and getting as far as teaching her how to put her skis on and taking them off, which is a start I suppose. Due to extreme hunger, tiredness and sore bum I was slowly turning into the Hulk. Klutz doesn't begin to cover her! Ellie had far more success with her male chum Matt who it turns out is a natural. He was parallel skiing all over the place! After a delicious lunch we went up to the top of the mountain where there was some incredible snow, and had a couple of fantastic runs. I even did my first black in several years! Pats on the back all round.

Marie x

(Glam Pam is what I have decided my nickname would have been if I had been called Pamela, which sadly was nearly the case. Thank God for Pamela Anderson...)

Molly and I doing our, now traditional, 'pleb jump'
Unimpressed Ellie trying to teach Hattie
A more impressed Ellie and the natural
The gang.

No comments:

Post a Comment