Saturday 26 April 2014

WE'RE HERE (Nice day 1)


 Heaven. (picture taken on our tour of the city)

Yesterday, at 2pm, Ellie and I hopped on the train and 5 hours of coastal scenery later we arrived at our destination... Nice! After walking round what seemed like half the city, we finally found our hostel and were directed to our dorm, which is a mixed dorm of 16 people. Quite the experience, needless to say. We (obviously) went straight to the bar where we bought a cocktail each for 4 euros to help us unwind after our long and arduous journey and were offered free pasta for dinner with it. Absolute bargain! As we both have a fair share of course work to do we wolfed down our pasta and rushed upstairs to do some work before going out to experience the night life. While working hard we got chatting to some American boys in our dorm who were absolutely charming and invited us out with them, so after doing a little more work we went on our way to a bar called "Wayne's bar". It is brilliant! There was an extremely good live band performing covers of popular songs and everyone was dancing like mad on the tables. British health and safety would have gone mad! One of our new friends got a group photo taken, so once I have the opportunity to steal it I will do so and upload it on here.

Because of the hot weather the window in our dorm was left open during the night meaning that at 8:30 this morning we were rudely woken up by the sunshine and hustle and bustle of daily life. After eating our free breakfast (seriously this hostel is amazing!) we decided to go on a tour of the old quarter of the city which was incredibly interesting and beautiful. Nice is such an amazing city, I could definitely imagine myself whizzing along the streets in a yellow Fiat 500 basking in the sunshine one day. A girl can dream.


Examples of the delicious foods available at the Nice food market (one of the biggest & best in France)

 

With my new American friends Alex and Garrett

After a delicious lunch of falafel wraps with pitta, hummus and taboulé on the side, Ellie and I loosened our belts and waddled off to the beach. Luckily for me the beaches here are pebble beaches. Anyone who knows me knows that I HATE sand, so I was overjoyed that sand would not be hiding in areas sand should never go at the end of the day. I looked after the bags while the others ran into the freezing sea as I'm not a huge fan of the sea either and took a couple of photos before the clouds came in and hid the sun.

Ellie recreating her favourite pose with our new friends.

So many filters because I was already starting to burn... Quelle surprise.

Day 1 of our Nice adventure has been a raging success. 

Oh and, if anyone was wondering... We are running tomorrow. They didn't even glance at my medical certificate when I handed it in, which is both a relief and a disappointment. After coming to terms with the fact I would not be able to run, Ellie and I decided we would take a day trip to Monaco which is only 35 minutes away, but ah well! C'est la vie! Monaco will always be there, whereas this opportunity will not. Ellie and I will be rocking some horrendously bright orange tops tomorrow while struggling along for 13 miles. Merde.

Marie x

No comments:

Post a Comment